Thursday, January 17, 2013

How did I get here?

Bug Light - A project of the SPCE Rotary Club
After a diligent effort by a neighbor and friend, I became a Rotarian in June of 2010. At that time I knew very little about Rotary, but was willing to give it a try. My wife, Nancy, joined in October of 2010 and for a while we were the only couple in the club.

I was tagged early on to work on the club's web committee. This fit well with my likes and abilities.  After about 5 months, I became the club webmaster when another committee member left to move out of state. So far, so good.

In the spring we attended the District Assembly, a really good event to learn lots about Rotary. We met the District Governor Elect, Gary. Nancy asked how it was going, and when Gary noted that he was filling positions but having some trouble with district webmaster.... at that point Nancy told Gary that I was the club webmaster and really liked it. As a result, one year after joining I became the district webmaster in addition to being the club webmaster.

In December of 2011 I added the role of club membership director  for the 2012-2-13 Rotary year to my Rotary resume. In addition the District webmaster role morphed into District Technology chair. Clearly not doing well with the word "no".

This fall I agreed to become Vice President for 2013-2014. This of course puts me on track to become President Elect in a year. I can't decide if I'm nuts for doing this, but I am looking forward to it. I expect it will be a good experience.

All that for a back ground as to why his blog exists. At the moment it sounds like a good idea to blog about my journey to being club President, if for no other reason than as a tool to reflect on the journey and do it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment